Thursday, March 25, 2010

Trust your motherly instincts

My husband and I started to notice our youngest wasn't speaking as much as the other 3 by 18 months. The pediatrician said, "let's see how he is at 24 months." I started to do some research and talking with other moms. I found a great program in the Tampa Bay Area for children under the age of 3. It is called Early Steps. After few phone calls, I had a in home visit scheduled with a counselor to come and ask questions while observing my 22 month old. She determined that he meet the criteria to have a formal evaluation.

We went on 3/17/10 and after a hour of testing my 22 month old, the answer was in. He was right on track with motor skills, cognative, receptive communication but scored very low on verbal communication. I knew that in my heart. He is a very smart child and we have a very limited conversation between us throughout the day, but he understands EVERYTHING I say to him. A mother never wants to think something could be wrong, but i was glad I pursued it. He doesn't have anything life threatening by any mean, but I am so thankful that there is a program that will help us get Caleb on track when the insurance company will not pay for speech theraphy.

We start tomorrow with our first 1 hour session. We are looking forward to our little one to start spilling the words out in the very near future.

Never doubt yourself as a parent. As silly as it many seem, you may have your finger on a big or small problem that can be resolved or corrected. If it turns out to be nothing, that is a wonderful thing to.

No comments:

Post a Comment